Saturday, January 1, 2011

BLESSED ARE THE PURE OF HEART


When Mom had a stroke everyone at the care facility fell in love with her and her beautiful smile. Her eyes lit up when family, staff or visitors entered her room. She flashed her famous smile that meant, “I’m glad to see you, you are important to me.” She couldn’t talk or swallow. She couldn’t move one side of her body, but she never once showed signs of feeling sorry for herself.

In spite of her life long battle with depression, Mom was grateful for everything she had and felt a responsibility for others less fortunate. She visited nursing homes and took us along. She cared for my Dad for many years when he was diagnosed with Alzheimer. She advocated for social justice.

I miss her and I miss the years before her stroke that I cared for her. People say I did a good thing, retiring early to take care of her. I really did a good thing for myself. It was Mom who helped me by sharing her wisdom, consoling me in my discouragements.

She was a gift to me and others her entire life. It is hard to think of her as having depression even though I was there during her dark and difficult times. She hid her disability from others behind a bright smile. I do not know how she did it. She was herself with me and she let me help her through the difficult times when her depression was the worst. Perhaps that was her greatest gift.- trusting me and letting me know she felt safe when she was with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment